Non-verbal communication is based on the understanding of the parties to a communication, as the transmission of messages from the sender to receiver is wordless i.e. the communication uses signs. So, if the receiver understands the message completely and proper feedback is given afterward, then the communication succeeds.
It complements the verbal communication many times, to understand the mindset and the status of the of the parties, which is not spoken by them, but it is an act of understanding. The types of Non-verbal communication are as under:
- The use of time in communication is chronemics, which speaks about the personality of the sender/receiver like punctuality, the speed of speech, etc.
- The volume, tone of voice and pitch used by the sender for communicating a message to the receiver is known as vocalists or paralanguage.
- The use of touch in communication is the expression of feelings and emotions.
- It is the study of the body language of a person, i.e., gestures, postures, facial expressions, etc.
- The distance maintained by a person while communicating with others communicates about the relationship of the person with others like intimate, personal, social and public.
- The appearance of a person speaks about his personality, i.e. by way of clothing, carrying jewelry, lifestyle, etc. This kind of communication is known as artifactual communication.